Was surfing internet and found this affidavit data filled by candidates of election 2014 in a convenient comma separated file format.
Couldn’t resist myself. The tinkerer in me wanted to play with this data, so tinkering began.
# # Data Source https://github.com/datameet/india-election-data # import numpy as np import pandas as pd import matplotlib %matplotlib inline fname=r"/Users/Sukhbinder/myneta2014.csv" data =pd.read_csv(fname) data.describe()
Using Pandas library, loaded the data and first two results brought some surprises. So spent the next couple hours digging the data.
Ok answer this
- Which party has the highest count of registered criminal cases ?
- Which party do the top two most criminal cases candidate belong to?
Answer before you proceed. I was surprised by the answer this data revealed!
I also found answers to these questions.
- How many candidates were running in the election?
- How many parties were contesting elections?
- What is the Education Status of candidates in different party?
- Who is the richest contestant by total assets?
and many more.
Find out. And while you are at it, you might learn some pandas. I am still a beginner in pandas and might not have done full justice to the awesome pandas library!!
Visit my github to play with the data and the code.